We're Trying to Have Puppies Part 1

  Upon reflection, the title may be a bit misleading. "We" aren't trying to have puppies, we are actually trusting the dog to take care of that. She is, after all, better equipped for that sort of thing.
  Our family has 2 very large dogs who happen to be brother and sister. The boy is fixed, the girl is not, and my daughter used her remarkable powers of persuasion to strong-arm me into agreeing to breed Gypsy at least once before we end her reproductive years.  Having agreed to potentially add more dogs to the world, we kept a lazy eye out for a breed-appropriate suitor, and one day, while passing from our dirt road to another dirt road, a potential candidate  ran out in front of us.
  "Look, Daddy!" came the backseat cry of the ever-vigilant daughter. 
  "Yep, I see him. I wonder where he lives". I had to wonder this because this particular dirt road is sparsely populated by folks whose decorating scheme might be aptly named "Early Abandonment."  It's very common to see houses with overgrown yards, decrepit vehicles, and no visible signs of life that are actually inhabited by multiple people. In those cases, you step onto their property at your own risk, but that's another story.
  I backed the car up, scanning all the nearby domiciles for signs of life. About 200 yards behind us sat a trailer with the door wide open. The property was full of chickens and broken farm equipment and surrounded by a fence topped off with animal skulls. As we rolled past a herd of dogs of indeterminate ancestry came barrelling out to greet us, along with the resident, a long-haired man in his late 50's. It turns out they don't get many visitors so when a vehicle drove past once, then came back by in reverse, he wanted to see what I was up to.
  Think what you want, gentle reader, but backwoods coots are , in a lot of ways, my kind of people.  I'm descended from stock just like this and can speak their language.
  "How ya doing, sir?"
  "Whachoo want?"
  "Well I live just down the road a ways and we seen your dog."
  "Jake?"  He pointed.
  "Yes sir. Well anyway, we got a girl dog we were looking to breed. Do you ever breed Jake?"
  "Sometimes"
  "She aint in heat at the moment, mind you, but she will be. What would you want for Jake to hook up with her?"
  He looked around , scratched his chin and said "Aw, all I'd want is a girl puppy. My pick."
  "You sure?"
  "Yeah, just a pup. A girl"
  "Well I'll tell you what. Like I said, we live just  down here. When she gets closer to her heat, I'll come back by and see you, ok?"
 We shook hands, I got back in my vehicle and we continued on to our destination having casually struck a deal to create new life without even knowing each other's names.That's just how it works sometimes.
 

Comments

Popular Posts